Mommy


Wednesday, March 28, 2012

If only for a moment...

I used to love taking baths as a child. I loved the ripply numbness my fingers and toes felt as I begrudgingly left the tub. My imagination sailed  I was transported to far off lagoons and adventures at sea. Sometimes my mom would light candles and turn the lights down low, and I would have relaxing "Mommy" baths, I loved taking baths. Fast forward to adulthood, I rarely take a bath, part OCD, part timing. But a couple weeks ago I got the urge to soak my tired pregnant self in a nice hot bath, while my family was otherwise engaged, I decided to sneak off and take a trip down memory lane with a candlelit bath  and a little pandora to set the mood.

I turned the lights down low and skipped the candles because the lighter was in the kitchen. (Needed to be as stealth as possible) I slipped down into carrot oil infused water and settled in to James Morrison Radio. No less than 5 minutes went by and B was calling out for me, she quickly found me in the bathroom and hung out for a few minutes, she was in and out, closing the door behind her and then popping her head back in before it closed all the way. I kept telling her, "don't close it!, you're gonna be stuck outside the bathroom!!" Well she did of course and then she was calling me to open it. You know me, I was like I'm sorry...I told you! Then I said, get Avery, tell Avery to open the door!(my 1st mistake) So, for 3 minutes(which felt like eternity) she sat outside the door and yelled "Dad, Dad, Dad!!! Dad" Seriously, in a range of octaves !!! OMG! as I laid in the tub like... Fuck! BERKELY!!! GET AVERY...GO DOWNSTAIRS and GET AVERY, she'll open the door!!!!!(second mistake)

Then there was silence... awwww...okay!! I closed my eyes and exhaled! Done...she'll forget about me now!

Moments later I hear the brigade apporaching, Berkely smacks the door, "Momma's in here?!", Avery turns the handle and the door flies open. "Ooohhh, she says... This is nice" I like this Mom...you taking a bath?! Mmhmm, I say. She dips her hand in the tub, and then proceeds to take her pants off. "What are you doing?!" I ask. "I'm getting in the tub!!" "Not with me you're not!!, you can get in when I'm done" Okay, you want this boat?     ..No    You want Ariel? ...No  I don't want any toys in the bath!  "Why?!" ..."Because I was just gonna have a relaxing bath!!!"  It's was over, I mean really! There was no way I was gonna have the remainder of this tub session sans kids...so I asked "You wanna get in?!  YEAH, she says! So I got out, undressed them both and put them in the tub. I could see on Averys face she was so excited to have a "relaxing bath" in the dim light with the music on. "I like it like this Mom" she said as she relaxed back into the fragrant water...We came full circle that night, I knew it was the beginning of many "candle lit" baths I would draw for her...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. ; )



No comments:

Post a Comment